Followers

Monday, April 13, 2015

Vedanta - A Sound Bath for You


I remember that day in the second year of my MBBS course when I was studying pharmacology . Countless drug names had to be learnt by rote along with information of their actions and side effects.Time was short and the pressure, enormous. To de-stress I tried taking a nap, but woke up with a horrible dream that I had missed the examination.Pacing the floor, I chanced into my parents' room, where my mother was practicing Raag Kalavati on the harmonium.
I felt that the melody was familiar, somewhat similar to that of a Hindi film song.I asked my mother if I could try my hand at the musical instrument.
The moment I touched the keys and pulled the bellows of the harmonium, a fantastic feeling of calm filled me. My mother taught me the basic sargam and I got hooked. After an hour of experimenting and playing staccato notes, I knew I had found my stress management tool for life. From that day onwards, I would take regular breaks from my studies and play the harmonium.
In many clinical studies, music ranks as the number one stress buster. Whether it is listening, learning or performing, music has the capacity to produce calm and peace. Listening to the right kind of music at the right volume can be beneficial to mind and body .
Music can act like a `sound bath' and help you wash away all your worries. Learning o sing or to play a musical instrument can have therapeutic benefits.