Followers

Thursday, June 04, 2015

Vedanta - Nothing is Real


The world is a dream. The Mundaka Upanishad tells us that both the waking state and dream state of our life are illusory . They are mere creations of our consciousness. The highest level of our consciousness is that of Turiya, when we cease to see the world of matter and feel only one consciousness everywhere.Giordano Bruno, the Italian Dominican friar-philosopher, said, “The world is an eternal enigma, and our only connection with it is that we form part of it when we live.... [Man] must finally quit the scene to reappear no more. Death annuls all the features of life.... Truth, god, immortality are delightful concepts.
They are true, but standing on no verifiable basis.“
The whole universe of things and beings is a long dream. Everything gets superimposed upon consciousness. There have been great men in the past who have replied to the threats of death by rulers with, “You are going to kill me? That is the greatest joke I have heard.Even god cannot kill me. Who are you to kill me?
“And when you kill me, I, too, will see my body falling here.And when you cut off my head, I, too, will see it roll down. Because I am that which is in you, which is holding that sword. So when you have killed me, I shall still remain and survive in you as you.“
That reply , and variations thereof, are valid for all of us.