Followers

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Enjoy the Effort



We don't always get what we want. Some of us are happy with what we get, and others remain dissatisfied. Still others keep trying. Which approach would be the right one? I will recommend another approach. You can have a desire. Put in your best effort to fulfil it.But make sure you enjoy the effort rather than its fruits. Celebrate the march towards the destination. If the destination is reached, we will be happy .Even if it is not reached, nobody can take away the sense of thrill at having run the race, the delicious fatigue felt along the whole body . My happiness is derived not from reaching a goal, but from the struggle I wage as part of my attempt at reaching it. Suppose I feel I will be happy only if you give me a thundering ovation when I conclude my lecture. That means I am not fully enjoying my teaching, rather, my mind is set on a particular goal. That very concern may prevent me from giving my best to my teaching and, thus, act as a barrier to my attaining the goal.
Playing football is one kind of joy , winning is another kind.The problem is, we identify joy exclusively with winning. Classical musicians are so absorbed in their performance that for all practical purposes, they are unmindful of the audience, the applause at climactic point, or the money they will receive from the organisers at the end.
What they enjoy is their involvement in bringing their art alive, not the end-result in the form of ovation or payment. So, enjoy the process. Enjoy the travel. Enjoy the endeavour.