Followers

Friday, February 10, 2017

Students don't want teacher who knows it all


These lessons learned from my students challenge me to acknowledge the diversity in learning styles, knowledge, skills, and dispositions; consistently evaluate my teaching to meet the needs of each new group of learners

The funny thing about being a teacher is, you are schooled just as much as your students. Education isn't just one way. It, like most avenues of life, travels with reciprocity. My students have taught me some invaluable lessons during my first five years as a college lecturer. I can't help but reflect on all of the lessons I learned. It has helped me think more clearly about what I want my students to know and do, and who I want them to become. And it has made me a better teacher and a better person. And while my students (hopefully) remember the lessons I've taught them, here are some of the lessons they've taught me.

Listen

There are a lot of things that distract our attention, no matter how outlandish, silly, or absurd the story is, just listen. Everyone needs to be heard; and know that their words are important. It helps to build self-esteem, it allows making real connections, and it helps to learn how to interact with others. In a world where many of us simply communicate electronically, nothing replaces real world connections of the heart.

Challenges are the spice of life

Students are eager to learn. There is a 'bring it on' attitude which keeps things interesting. They always try to come up with new ideas if you challenge them. This helps us to be focused and motivated in everything that we do. The adventure of life is to learn and grow. The nature of life is to change. The challenge of life is to overcome.

Patience is a virtue

Naturally, as instructors, we want our students to succeed, but sometimes learning comes slowly. Not all students learn at the same pace (nor do they all learn in the same way). But I have learned to take it easy. The majority of students will get to where they need to be eventually, and I am often surprised by 'growth spurts' that occur along the way. Learning is not linear and can't always be measured by the clock. Everyone is unique.

Never judge a book by its cover

Time has a way of revealing someone's true character. The student who seems like a slacker will sometimes surprise you with creativity. We tend to make judgments about people based on their appearance and a few scraps of knowledge about them. Sometimes these impressions turn out to be wrong as we get to know the person and their story. I have learned to believe in people no matter how unproductive or dull they seem to be, No matter what stage of life they are in, supporting them and encouraging them is crucial. After all, that is what teachers do.

Improvement through feedback

'What can I do to make myself better?' and 'How can I improve?' are questions that my students ask me frequently? I have learned that sometimes we're afraid to ask for honest feedback because we'll hear something we won't like. But if we can set aside our insecurity, people will often give us great insights we couldn't receive any other way.

It's okay to say I don't know

Teachers are supposed to be the 'Experts'. They are supposed to have all the right answers. Any teacher will tell you the three hardest words to say are 'I don't know.'
True learning is not just about gaining knowledge. It's about having a curious mind and a willingness to change and grow. It's about the excitement of searching for answers, not the security of feeling like you already have them all. Students don't want a teacher who knows it all. They are looking for guides and coaches who can provide feedback, direction, and motivation.
These lessons learned from my students challenge me to acknowledge the diversity in learning styles, knowledge, skills, and dispositions; consistently evaluate my teaching to meet the needs of each new group of learners. Although I'm sure there are much more lessons to learn, these lessons continue to transform my thinking.
(The author has worked with DAVV University Indore as a Management Faculty. She has also been associated with The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India as a Soft Skills Trainer and has conducted various seminars for students motivating them to overcome their weaknesses and develop their strengths.)
Source: DNA, 27-01-2017